Timber floor installation | Parquet laying | Laminate fitting
Timber floors have become extremely popular over the past few years. Most people prefer them because they require little maintenance, have long life and could fit perfectly almost any style of house, office or public place. Even though timber is more expensive than carpet, it is a wise investment which will save you money in the future. Carpets should be refitted once every five years because of tough or permanent stains, holes and deeply embedded dirt while timber floors do not need to be replaced so often. Minor damages and general wear and tear can be repaired by sanding and polishing.
If your wooden floors are in extremely bad condition and cannot be repaired, why not think of new timber floor installation. You could also consider having wooden floors fitted if you have decided that it’s time to get rid of your carpets. It is not important how big or luxury your place is – wooden floors will ideally match your taste and needs and will add value to your home.
Timber floor fitting is a difficult process that requires special knowledge and experience in the field. If you intend to do it on your own, there is always a risk that you may not be happy with the final result and will spend money on something that you might not like. To avoid such unpleasant situation, do not hesitate to contact us. We will answer all questions you might have regarding our floor installation service and our prices.
- Wood floorings cannot be fitted over existing carpet
- You can have a wood floor on top of under-floor heating
- We can install for you new timber floor over existing tiles, concrete or old wooden floors.
Preparation stage of timber floor installation includes the following stages:
- Giving a very good clean to the floor. Extra care of the dust and dirt is necessary, so the whole area where the new flooring will be installed needs vacuuming.
- Skirting boards have to be removed, all doors taken down and door frames trimmed to match the new floor.
- Underlay has to be perfectly smooth. That is why a long spirit level is used for checking the levelness of the subfloor. High spots will be treated with sanding machine and low spots will be filled with special equipment.
- The level of moisture will be also checked. Recommended temperature in the room is between 18-22 degrees and relative humidity of between 45-60%, because the high level of moisture might lead to warping the wood, while too much dryness might cause the timber to crack.
After all these steps have been completed and the subfloor is ready, then the process of timber floor installation can begin. Floors can be fitted in different patterns according to your taste. One design can extend from wall to wall or you can have a border. We can lay any kind of timber floors including hardwood, softwood, parquet, and laminate depending on your needs and preferences.
There are 3 main methods of wood flooring installation:
- Nailing down – it fits well over existing timber subfloors, for example floorboards, chipboard or plywood.
- Glue down - works well on concrete base, plywood or chipboard. It is a popular type but requires a good preparation and may need 2-3 days job.
- Floating floor – this is one of the most preferred floors by customers. It is not nailed or glued directly to the subfloor, but it is laid loose using glued joints. Also, helps for reducing noise or vibration.
We offer the following floor fitting services: